About this blog:


Part recipe review, part food critique, and all detailing the ups and downs as I make some serious dietary changes in an attempt to better manage and control my autoimmune disease, Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. (Note: I am not using diet alone to treat my disease, but to improve my daily life).

Monday, August 12, 2013

Days 9 & 10 - more lunch troubles

I am still struggling with lunch ideas.  I keep finding myself making one entree for me and a different one for my children.  I don't want to do that!  I'm far too lazy for that!  One of my friends who eats according to the Paleo diet, told me she usually eats salads for lunch with a meat on the salad.  This would work great for me, and possibly my 5 year old son, but my 20 month old, hasn't quite figured out how to chew up salads well yet.  On Thursday for lunch, I thought I would make Tuna salad for me and eat it on a salad, then I made fish sticks for the kids, because I had them in the freezer and it was easy.  I reheated some left over veggies and cut up some fruit for them.  My daughter ignored her fish sticks and kept asking for bites of my tuna salad...go figure!

Friday came with Taquito trouble!  I read on a gluten free blog, that there was a certain brand of taquitos that are gluten free and I thought, ah ha!  That's an easy lunch idea that I can use on the days that I'm in a rush.  So, I went to the store, bought that brand, took it home and stuck it in the oven.  As I was waiting for them to finish cooking, I took a look at the ingredients, and that's when I saw it...FLOUR!  Ugh!  Lesson learned: don't believe everything you read on blogs!!!  I made a huge batch of guacamole and that was at least wheat free and delicious!  I ate it with baked corn tortilla chips from guiltless gourmet, which WERE certified gluten free!  

Friday night I made one of my favorite easy go to meals.  I love to cook it because it requires very little prep work.  As you're heating up a large braising pan, you cut up some potatoes.  I always use golden potatoes so that I don't have to peel them.  Then add olive oil to the pan, after it is heated, add the potatoes.  While the potatoes start cooking, slice an onion, add that to the pan.  Let those cook for a while, but as they are cooking, slice up a kalbalsa style sausage (I usually use sausage), and slice some bell peppers.  I usually use two of whatever color I have on hand.  Once the potatoes are mostly cooked through, I add the sausage and bell peppers, then continue cooking until they are heated and everything is cooked through.  And you're done.  The kids love it, and it is easy, and luckily it is also gluten free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment