About this blog:


Part recipe review, part food critique, and all detailing the ups and downs as I make some serious dietary changes in an attempt to better manage and control my autoimmune disease, Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. (Note: I am not using diet alone to treat my disease, but to improve my daily life).

Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 16 - Squash in place of spaghetti?

When I was deep in mourning over the loss of one of my favorite foods, pasta, some friends had some really great and creative suggestions for me.  I love getting suggestions from friends, it gives me something new to try.  If you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave them in the comments!

One of them, I hadn't tried before, so I decided to experiment last night.  I made a fairly traditional tomato sauce and added some extra bell peppers.  One of the great things about tomato sauce is that you can add almost any kind of vegetable you have on hand.  It adds extra nutritional value and flavor too!  I also used some chicken Italian sausage.  I threw the sausage and the sauce in the crock pot and let it cook all day. Then, a few minutes before dinner time I cut up some zucchini, and yellow squash.  I used the squash instead of pasta.  My kids didn't seem to mind much at all.  Although, I think they probably would have eaten a little more if it were actually pasta.  My husband said it was "good" which really meant he wasn't going to complain about it but it wasn't his favorite.  I think the squash worked pretty well.  I think the biggest downfall of the recipe was actually the sausage.  It ended up being really dry.  So, I will probably try again, and use regular sausage.

Another suggestion I received was to use spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti.  I've done this before and it is always delicious!  I also found some brown rice pasta at the store that I look forward to trying.  I will share both experiences here in the next couple of weeks! 

Keep those suggestions coming friends!  XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment