About this blog:


Part recipe review, part food critique, and all detailing the ups and downs as I make some serious dietary changes in an attempt to better manage and control my autoimmune disease, Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. (Note: I am not using diet alone to treat my disease, but to improve my daily life).

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 21 Gluten Free shopping and Product Review

My husband had planned a date for us to ride bikes together the day after my run.  He had arranged for his mom to watch the kids.  Unfortunately, I had such a sharp pain in my right foot, that I thought maybe I had developed a stress fracture. So, we decided it might not be a great idea to ride bikes.  (The pain has gotten a lot better so I'm doubtful its a stress fracture, phew!)  But, the cancelled plans left us in that uncomfortable, "What do you want to do? I don't know what do you want to do?" stage.  A new whole foods had opened close to my Mother-in-law's house, so we decided to get a snack and then stop there to explore their gluten free products.  Whole Foods is a cool store, we don't have one close enough for us to shop there regularly at this time, but even if we did, I'm not sure it would be my favorite store.  We are lucky enough to have a couple of Whole Foods alternatives in our area, such as Central Market.  Central Market is quite a bit cheaper for most of the same product lines.  Whole Foods does seem to have a wider selection of the specialty products though.

I was excited to find some dairy free dark chocolate chunks, and gluten free all purpose flour.  We bought some wasabi rice crackers, and another gluten free cereal for me to try.  I was searching for gluten free flour like tortillas, or flat bread.  I wanted to make wraps for lunches, and was looking for something I could use.  My search has come up very short though, so I might just try to make my own with the flour I bought.  If any of you know where I could find this product, please let me know!

The following product I actually found at Costco!  But, they carry the single pouches in a wider selection at Whole Foods.  I believe the boxes at Costco are $7, or $8 with four pouches in a box.  The brand Tasty Bite packages their products in these neat little pouches.  The pouches are a single serving and so incredibly simple.  You just cut the top and microwave for 1 min.  All their products have great labels too, you can just look on the box or pouch and it says, Vegan, No GMOs, Gluten Free, etc. I've tried two of their products.  The first one I ate was the Mardras Lentils, and it is delicious!  Unfortunately, it has some dairy in it though, so I'm no longer eating that one.  I was excited that Costco started carrying another variation, called Channa Masala.  I simply made some rice, heated the Channa Masala in the microwave, added a veggie for a side, and we had lunch.  My daughter loved it, and I loved it.  It is slightly sweet and has that great masala flavor.  The chick-peas make it really filling and delicious.  I bought a couple of their other variations at Whole Foods, so stay tuned, I will review those products soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment