About this blog:


Part recipe review, part food critique, and all detailing the ups and downs as I make some serious dietary changes in an attempt to better manage and control my autoimmune disease, Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. (Note: I am not using diet alone to treat my disease, but to improve my daily life).

Monday, August 12, 2013

Days 7 & 8 - Kitchen Nightmares

I must admit I am frightened to take any pictures in my kitchen right now!  It is a MESS!  It is beyond a mess, it is a disaster zone!  Our nice beautiful slightly over 2 year old Bosch dishwasher broke, at least we thought it did.  (You can read about that saga below if you're interested).  I also did a terrible job of sticking to my menu plan so far this week.  We have been so busy.  My son is taking swim lessons again.  And they are at 5:30, so its been making dinner time a little difficult.
I did find a good gluten free sort of fast food option though.  The only problem is that you have to be careful because they have a lot of terrible for you food too!  Panda Express, they have some grilled meat option, and also some pure veggie options, you can pair with brown rice, and its probably better for you than a double bacon cheeseburger!
We made a gluten free mexican meatloaf last night.  My kids LOVED it!  I adapted a Weight Watcher's recipe, and instead of using corn bread stuffing mix, I used gluten free corn flakes, and an extra egg white.  I also only use ground turkey, and I replaced canned green chilis with roasted hatch chilis because they are in season right now and ohh so yummy!!!

Dishwasher Drama
I know, this has nothing to do with wheat, but I didn't stick to my meal plan this week as much as I had hoped in part because I hate cooking in a messy kitchen, and I hate even more to wash dishes!

The water wasn't draining out of the bottom of our not very old dishwasher, we cleaned out all the filters.  It still wasn't draining out of the bottom.  We cursed the dishwasher. Then, my husband started taking out all the drainage pipes and making sure they weren't clog.  The bad news was it didn't appear to be a clog.  Which meant, we had to spend money on a new drainage motor.  We cursed the dishwasher again.  My sweet husband shipped it overnight so that the kitchen wouldn't be a huge mess for too long.  The parts arrived, and he promptly went to work taking the dishwasher apart, putting in the new motor, and trying it again.  It still didn't drain!  We, again, cursed the dishwasher while staring it and scratching our heads wondering what on earth could be wrong with with it.  He watched the water drain through some of the pipes and sat staring at the cold silver machine willing it to start working.  In a last ditch effort, he started troubleshooting all over from the beginning.  Just as my husband had nearly given up, he found a piece of pipe under the sink where the water moves up, makes an exchange and then moves back down.  It was slightly clogged.  I don't think I've ever seen a man excited about a pipe clog before!  There was a piece of plastic.  More specifically, it was a plastic cover for a 9 vault battery.  How the heck it got in there, I have no clue, but it did.  This, tiny piece of plastic was the cause of hours and hours or dishwasher work.  And finally after all my husband's hard work and money spent it is fixed!  The good news is that we can send the new motor back, we didn't need it.  And all those nights I spent silently and not so silently cursing Bosch were wasted.  I'm sorry pretty Bosch dishwasher, it wasn't your fault!

No comments:

Post a Comment