About this blog:


Part recipe review, part food critique, and all detailing the ups and downs as I make some serious dietary changes in an attempt to better manage and control my autoimmune disease, Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. (Note: I am not using diet alone to treat my disease, but to improve my daily life).

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 13 - A case of the Mondays

It was nearly 2:00 p.m. when it happened.  It hit me and it hit me hard.  There is this Italian joint near where we live, and they serve the most delicious bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I had a craving for that yesterday like you wouldn't believe.  All I could think of was that bread and how delicious it sounded.  I fought back, and distracted myself with the mundane Monday tasks, like laundry and dishes as my daughter napped quietly.  Eventually the craving went away, and we continued on with our day.
Then around 10:00 p.m., I was struck again!  This time, not with a craving for delicious bread, but for the pieces of leftover pizza sitting in our fridge.  We brought this devil's food into our house for our kids the night my husband and I went out for sushi with some friends.  And those slices of gluten smothered in dairy and pepperoni sounded so delicious last night.  I begged my husband to eat them, so they would be gone and I wouldn't have to think about them anymore.  But, he just cruelly laughed at me.  I sent myself to bed so that I wouldn't cave.  I thought that I'd be passed the cravings by day 13, but they hit me with a vengeance!
Every once in a while, I will cook something that when I taste, I think to myself.  "Damn!  That is GOO-OOOD.  Tonight was one of those nights.  I grilled Spice rubbed pork chops.  The only thing I did differently from the recipe is that I put it in a simple brine (salt and water) for about 8 hours before I rubbed it down with the spice mixture.  I like to brine my pork and chicken before grilling because it has a tendency to get dry.  The other trick to delicious pork is to not over cook it.  I try not to go to far over 145 degrees Fahrenheit.   Along with the pork, we had one of the most delicious and simple potato salad's I've ever had.  It is called Baby potato salad, and man is it yummy!  I also grilled some asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment