About this blog:


Part recipe review, part food critique, and all detailing the ups and downs as I make some serious dietary changes in an attempt to better manage and control my autoimmune disease, Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. (Note: I am not using diet alone to treat my disease, but to improve my daily life).

Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 3: Temptation Everywhere!

I woke up this morning so incredibly hungry!  I was starving.  The kind of hungry that actually hurts! I had to get my youngest to her gym class in about an hour, so I had little time left after getting everyone dressed and ready.  I was a little disappointed but all I got to eat was one of those gluten free granola bars that I made!  It is so nice to have those on hand.  I can grab one for a snack or for breakfast if I'm in a rush.  Since I've found them so useful, I thought I would share the recipe here:
5 ingredient gluten free granola bars 

I'm not going to lie, after my daughter's gym class, she asked in her sweet little 20 month old voice, "sausage peees" I'm a sucker for good manners.  I bought her a sausage biscuit from the McDonald's next door one time, and now she remembers!  I'm in trouble.  But, I was guilt stricken for not providing her with a hearty breakfast, so I grabbed her one.  Ohhh the temptation! That delicious buttery biscuit was all I could smell on the drive.  Luckily those granola bars kept me from being too hungry, so I was able to abstain.

Lunch presented another challenge, it was a classic "busy mom on the go" situation.  Immediately after my daughter's class, I had to run my son to get his allergy shots.  By the time we got back home it was lunch time, and everyone was grumpy because they were so hungry!  I have realized that I need to start menu planning for lunches too (normally I just menu plan dinner, but the diet restrictions make everything a little more challenging since I can't use my standard go-to's).  In a pinch, I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids and warmed up some leftover roasted poblano chicken and rice with veggies for me.  Funny thing is, I thought the kids would love their sandwiches, and their cucumber tomato salad, but instead they were reaching for my broccoli and rice! Why do kids always prefer what is on their mother's plate?

For dinner I made some smoked salmon and summer tomato and bell pepper soup, I've been wanting to make smoked salmon for a really long time (recipes are linked in the text).  My favorite way to eat smoked salmon is on a slice of baguette with some creme fresh, dill, and capers!  Instead of using a baguette, I used crackers made from brown rice that I found in Costco.  I happened to have a baguette in the freezer, so I sliced that up for my husband and kids.  Let me just say, it was a tad tempting staring at that soft bread all through dinner.  But, those crackers were pretty good with the salmon.  Instead of creme fresh, I used some goat's milk yogurt that I had on hand.  The soup was delicious, it is a cold soup, which isn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed it.  And the round of herbed goat's cheese in the middle gave me that creaminess that I'd been missing.




No comments:

Post a Comment