About this blog:


Part recipe review, part food critique, and all detailing the ups and downs as I make some serious dietary changes in an attempt to better manage and control my autoimmune disease, Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. (Note: I am not using diet alone to treat my disease, but to improve my daily life).

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Days 14 & 15 - HALF WAY POINT!!!

I cannot believe I have reached 15 days already.  It has gone by a lot quicker than I would have thought.  It hasn't always been easy, but it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be either. Reaching a milestone like halfway, causes me to stop and reflect on how things are doing, to take stock in how I am now.
My arthritis is better.  I'm not yet back to 90 or 95%, but I'm not nearly as miserable as when I started this diet.  I don't think I have enough information to say that my improvement is due to my dietary changes, but it is at least promising.  Promising enough in fact, that I might extend the wheat free diet to 60 days.  My skin is still pretty bad, but at least I have had tangible improvement when it comes to my joints.
On Tuesday, I made one of my simple go to meals.  I keep the ingredients in the freezer, always..  And, then when life gets busy, I can just grab them and make this meal in under 30 minutes.  It is a simple chicken stir fry.  I use frozen grilled chicken strips.  You can buy these in the freezer section, or make them yourself and put them in the freezer.  I also use frozen veggies.  I found a stir fry veggie combination at Costco, and use that.  I start the rice first get it simmering, Then, in a separate skillet or wok, I stir fry the chicken in some sesame oil or peanut oil.  If neither of those are available, vegetable oil will work.  Once the chicken is heated through, I add a bit of soy sauce, heat that and then add the vegetables, I also add about a spoonful of Hoisen sauce.  It is pretty tasty and really easy and fast.
We have been a busy family recently (who isn't, right?), with our normal day-to day activities, my son has also been in swimming lessons.  My daughter watches and asks when her turn will be.  So, of course, we "have" to take her to open swim later in the evening!  When we do this, it makes dinner time difficult to plan.  Last night we opted to eat a quick bite out.  We thought about where we could go that has a few gluten free options.  Thank god for Mexican food! Or at least corn tortillas!  Have you ever been to a Fuzzy's Tacos?  Yum!  If you don't want dairy, just ask, they can make their tacos dairy free too!  We love the fish tacos.  If you haven't already, try it! 


Fuzzy's Taco Shop

3 comments:

  1. way to go Megan! I hope you seem more improvement soon! Did you decide to give up dairy too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, Thanks for the support! Yes, I've given up diary too. Although, I'm not as strict with the dairy, and its mostly cow's milk that I'm avoiding. I couldn't tolerate cow's milk as a child and I'm guessing I'm still intolerant to it, it just manifests in a different way. Both my kids were dairy intolerant as infants too, so I've switched to using primarily unsweetened almond milk for the whole house. I was thinking about you and your family when I made the switch though, I felt a little guilty! :)

      Delete
    2. Bummer you had to give it up, but there are so many alternatives these days. But don't worry, only Josh and Bella actually drink our milk from the farm, I still have to buy it for Max and Me.

      Delete